Due to the Coronavirus restrictions, QIBA has temporarily closed all face-to-face classes in all campus locations. However, all courses and programs (PY, VET, ELICOS) are continuing in on-line delivery mode as per normal schedules and with regular allocated trainers. We are also inviting new enrolments in all courses on offer. New and existing cohorts all commence in on-line delivery mode and will revert to face-to-face delivery when it is safe to do so. Please contact 0292673040 for further information


The ESOS framework – Providing Quality Education and Protecting Your Rights

The Australian Government wants overseas students in Australia to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding place to study. Australia’s laws promote quality education and consumer protection for overseas students. These laws are known as the ESOS framework and they include the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2018.


Protection for overseas students

As an overseas student on a student visa, you must study with an education provider and in a course that can be found on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) at http://cricos.education.gov.au/. CRICOS registration guarantees that the course and the education provider at which you study meet the high standards necessary for overseas students. Please check carefully that the details of your course – including its location – match the information on CRICOS.


Your rights

The ESOS framework protects your rights, including your right to:

  • receive current and accurate information about the courses, entry requirements, all fees, modes of study and other information from your provider and your provider’s agent before you enrol.
  • sign a written agreement with your provider before or at the time you pay fees. You do not have to pay the provider any money or fees until you accept the agreement. You should keep a copy of your written agreement.
  • seek a refund in certain situations for course money you have paid. Information about refund arrangements must be included in your written agreement
  • get the education you paid for. The law includes tuition protections that will allow you to be placed in another course or receive a refund if your institution is unable to teach your course (known as provider default), visit https://tps.gov.au/for more information
  • access complaints and appeals processes
  • request to transfer to another institution and have that request assessed by your institution


The ESOS framework sets out the standards Australian providers offering education and training services to overseas students must meet. These standards cover a range of information you have a right to know and services that must be offered to you, including:

  • support and welfare services available at the institution
  • legal services
  • emergency and health services
  • facilities and resources
  • complaints and appeals processes
  • any student visa condition that relates to the course you are studying
  • services international students can access for information on their employment rights and conditions, and how to resolve workplace issues, such as through the Fair Work Ombudsman


One of the standards does not allow another provider to enrol a student who wants to transfer to another course but who has not completed six months of the final course of study in Australia. If you want to transfer before you have completed six months of your final course you need your provider’s permission.


Your responsibilities as an international student in Australia

Your student visa

As an international student on a student visa, you must:

  • comply with your student visa conditions
  • ensure you have and continue to maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for as long as you stay in Australia on a student visa
  • tell your institution if you change your address or other contact details
  • meet the terms of the written agreement with your education provider
  • maintain satisfactory course progress and attendance


Find out more and connect on social media

Study in Australia is the official Australian Government website for international students.

You can connect with it through:



Please also contact QIBA for any further information

Email: info@qiba.edu.au      Phone: 1300 361 955